Thursday, May 23, 2013

Doing One Thing at a Time

My dreams are keeping me busy.  Last night, for example, I dreamed that someone broke a glass mirror all over the floor at church and I had to go over and clean up in the middle of some big event that was happening there.  And then, I panicked, "It's Thursday already and I have no idea for my sermon!" When I woke up, it took a few minutes to remember not where, but when I was.  "It's ok, you are on sabbatical. You don't have a sermon to write."

During the day, though, it's a different story. During the day, I'm surprised how at ease I feel, how present to the moment.  Whatever I am doing, I just do it, without making in my head the lists of all the other things I should be doing as soon as I'm done with this part.  It's nice to be on time to things (like the yoga class I'm headed to in a few minutes) instead of trying to squeeze one more errand in before everything.  It makes me realize that most of the time I am not just doing what I'm doing, but also all the things I COULD be doing, too.

It feels good, and already I'm wondering if this is something I can hang on to once sabbatical is over.
Which I guess is sort of its own way of not being present to the moment, huh?

Even with a more relaxed schedule, I am still the same person inside.  I still, for instance, have 3 or 4 books going at the same time, still read a few pages of one, put it down and then pick up another.  Still wonder at breakfast what will be for lunch.  Still write these words while wondering what I should wear to yoga today.

Here's to being a work in progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment